I had been caught in traffic and the weather was so hot that day in July. Andrea was already well under way - I didn't tell her I was booked into the class as well. I thought it would be a nice surprise to 'turn up'. I did not anticipate the delay. It was a rush on the day to get the FQs sewn up and cut into strips. Narrowest strips towards the centre. Then switch positions, resew, turn 90 degrees and slash again. It's a great technique IF you can get the strips sewn as soon as you sew them. Otherwise the strips would need to be labelled, before being put away to transport. I called the finished lap quilt 'WARPED' after the heat wave weather that day, and the wobbly seams made it even more an apt title.
I arrived at the Bramble Patch three hours after Carole had started to teach everyone. I had so much fabric to choose from with me that I my first big task was to pick four different fabrics - which also would converge into the middle of the design.
I did a lot of sewing that day, Carole helped me to catch up. At the end of the day, I left with almost the quilt top finished. I was determined to finish it - so the day had not been wasted. I add a small strip border, to frame it and bring out the orange in the batik design. After this, I added a wider border, then bound it using the double fold technique.
I am very pleased to have finished it. It has even been hand washed, still looks vivid. I wasn't happy with the mauve fabric, so I tried to hide it with some hand sewing, using variegated thread, very therapeutic.