Saturday 9 April 2011

Great little shoulder bag:

Great little shoulder bag:


The first one I made was in Aztec type fabric and animal fabric for the lining inside.
It never had a fastener, only a loop!  I never found the right toggle!  I used it every day, very practical as the elasticated body kept everything secure.  My first bag to wear out and need a new strap.
I used a crossover lines to quilt the front flap.




I made three in total using a patterned fabric from the 'Edwardian Country Diary' range of fabric. I have kept the first one, I gave the second one to my sister, the third one went to a friend's daughter, Sam, who had graduated from university.


Each one was lined in plain cream fabric and embellished with black seed beads. French knots using black embroidery thread.




I have since made more scrip bags in tweed and one in leatherette.  The two tweed ones, which I gave to friends, Val & Faye.  The leatherette version I use regularly - I used a skirt from the market for the lining in this version.  I added a real leather strap which matches perfectly.

I am currently sewing up a ,maroon one for Kate.  I sourced two FQs in the right shade - she likes both of them  :)  So I am trying to make it reversible - with a zip to hold the pocket secure.  This version was completed and given to Kate at Luke & Heidi's wedding, May 2012.

I created a pattern of the cosmic bag, which I had one printed by a company in America, called Spoonflower. I have now updated the design to include a lining for the bag AND a panel for a pocket.  I only had one metre of the fabric printed off.  


"A really practical shoulder bag which will hold your basics and still
have enough room for more... I have included some extra shapes which
could be used to sew applique onto the flap, or use as bag charms when
attached with thread or ribbon.
You will need for each Cosmic Bag: A piece of elastic, 12mm wide x 0.5m. 
Wadding - same size as the flap section,
a button or toggle and matching thread. Basic sewing kit."


Inside the bag expands to hold lots more stuff. Or will hold just a few items. The elastic makes it really expandable.

No comments:

Post a Comment